A wrongful death occurs when a person dies due to the negligent, reckless, or intentional actions or omissions of another person. The death of a loved one can be devastating, and it is essential for family members to understand their rights under Connecticut law and who may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit.

If your family member has died because of someone else’s wrongdoing, contact our lawyers at The Kaloidis Law Firm, LLC. From our office in Waterbury, we can provide the aggressive advocacy your wrongful death case deserves.

What is Wrongful Death?

According to Connecticut law, wrongful death occurs when someone dies as the result of the negligence or misconduct of another person. This can include deaths caused by automobile accidents, fall downs, defective products, medical malpractice, or any other type of accident caused by someone’s negligence or recklessness.

Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Connecticut?

Under Connecticut General Statute § 52-555, only the executor or administrator of the deceased’s estate can file a wrongful death lawsuit. Usually, the executor or administrator is the decedent’s spouse, child, or other family member. On some occasions, an administrator is appointed by the Probate Court.

It is important to note that there is a statute of limitations for filing wrongful death lawsuits in Connecticut. If an individual does not file within two years from the date of death, they may not be able to pursue legal action against the responsible party.

How Can an Attorney Help?

Wrongful death actions are among the more complicated cases in Connecticut’s court system. If your loved one has died as a result of another person’s negligence or wrongdoing, you should contact an attorney immediately. 

  • Legal guidance for wrongful death and injury cases. The legal process following a wrongful death can be long and complicated. An experienced attorney will ensure that all steps are taken correctly and in accordance with Connecticut law. Your attorney will work hard to protect your rights as well as those of your deceased family member by filing the necessary paperwork and conducting thorough investigations into the cause of the accident. This may include interviewing witnesses, gathering evidence, and consulting with medical experts. The lawyer will also help you understand your legal options so that you can make informed decisions about how to proceed with your case.
  • Compensation for the losses. In addition to providing guidance throughout the legal process, an attorney can also seek compensation on your behalf for losses associated with the incident in question. Victims’ families may be eligible for damages related to medical bills, funeral costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, loss of companionship, and more—depending on the circumstances of their case. Our skilled lawyers will put together a strong claim that accurately reflects both your and your deceased family member’s financial losses so that justice is served.
  • Negotiations with insurance companies. If you do decide to pursue a wrongful death or personal injury lawsuit against another party’s insurance company (or other responsible parties), it is important that you have representation from an experienced lawyer who knows how insurance companies operate. Insurance companies typically want to settle claims quickly—and often at low amounts—so having an attorney on your side helps ensure that any settlement negotiations reflect fair compensation for your losses without being rushed through without due consideration of all factors involved. 

Losing a loved one due to someone else’s negligence is a heartbreaking and overwhelming experience—but it does not have to be faced alone. With the help of an experienced Connecticut attorney, you can receive guidance through each stage of filing a wrongful death/injury claim while also ensuring that justice is served by seeking appropriate compensation for all associated losses. Contact The Kaloidis Law Firm, LLC, right away. Discuss your case with one of our experienced lawyers at (203) 597-0010.